Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Eating the Big Apple


D & I just got back from a 5-day getaway to NYC where we strolled aimlessly, shopped furiously and ate heartily. We planned ahead (well, the 4 hour flight delay helped us to actually book reservations) and lucked out with reservations at some great restaurants. Seeing as I'm a food obsessed fatty, here are some of the great places we ate along our travels:

Everyone knows Chef Bobby Flay, right? The grilled pizza with double smoked bacon, caramelized onions and toasted garlic was AMAZING.

The Bowery Hotel is a hip little spot in the Lower East Side. We went to Gemma with friends and the food was delicious. I actually over-indulged to the point that I had to immediately go back to the hotel, curl up in a ball and hope to not give birth to my food baby. I couldn't resist stuffed zucchini flowers, strozzapreti with spicy Italian sausage ragu or numerous bites of tiramisu & vanilla panna cotta.

We made brunch reservations at the urging of my friend and it was worth it. Simple but delicious. To boot, the Meatpacking District is a fantastic place to wander & drop some coin.

This is your typical old school steak house with a bit of a twist. In 1985, the boss of the Gambino crime family was gunned down as he walked into the restaurant with his bodyguard. D & I were certain it was the MASSIVE 14oz filet mignon that must've killed him and the hit was just an urban myth.

On Sunday, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and wandered around Dumbo & Vinegar Hill before stumbling across this cute little place. Admittedly, not too many things on the brunch menu jumped out at me initially (as I don't eat eggs) but the Indiana Casserole was an indulgent dish of hot dog, elbow macaroni, peas & sharp cheddar.

Loved this place. LOVED. Good wine, delicious food and a cool breeze on a hot patio. Perfection. The in-house made sausages were amazing. I had the Espagnole & Vermont as part of the sausage duo and D had the piggie burger.

Traditional bistro fare with a renowned bakery. Worth checking out for the great location but in terms of breakfast, I wouldn't say we were floored. The brioche French toast was fresh & tasty and D seemed to enjoy his eggs something-or-other.

There you go! Lots of restaurants crammed in to a short few days. This was the first time I've been in NYC where we've actually planned ahead and made reservations. I always ask myself when leaving a new restaurant if I'd go again and to all of the above, I would. The only reason we won't is because there are far too many amazing restaurants in NYC to ever return to the same ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment