Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Peanut Butter Squares

"A perfect balance" said D as he referred to the peanut butter to chocolate ratio. In other words, a raving review straight from a very picky (and often skeptical) PB & chocolate connoisseur.

I love peanut butter. I was late to the whole PB world because we never really discovered it in my family until my brother was in high school (and he is 7 years my senior) because being British, peanut butter just wasn't big with them. Branston pickle, yes... peanut butter, no. In my adulthood, I have made up for lost time. I love PB cookies, treats, toast with PB & honey, celery with PB... anything really. Mmm... I digress.

It's my turn to bring Friday breakfast to the office tomorrow. Admittedly, I forgot about it until last night and being too tired to really plan anything, I decided to pull together a very European breakfast -- meats, cheeses, spreads, crisps & baguette. Easy, right? Yep! But I needed a sweet because who doesn't love a sweet for breakfast? The easiest, quickest & tastiest thing I could think of (and PB really screams out breakfast, no?) were these squares. This recipe kicks it old school big time!

Peanut Butter Squares

3/4 cup unsalted butter, divided, plus a little more to butter the dish
1 3/4 cups icing sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Line an 8x8 pan with foil, leaving enough foil overhanging the sides to use as "handles" later. Butter the bottom & sides of the lined pan and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of butter over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in the peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs. Continue stirring until thoroughly combined and smooth. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan & use a spatula to even it out.

In the same pan, add the remaining 1/4 cup of butter. Melt over low heat. Add the chocolate chips and stir until almost completely melted. Remove from heat and continue stirring until totally melted. Pour the chocolate over the peanut butter and spread into an even layer.

Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge. Using the foil to lift, transfer from the pan to the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into small squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Soooooo good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment