Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bookworm

I love reading. Always have and always will. I'm very particular about my books. My preference are trade paperbacks though I will read hardcover but never mass market. I love Canadian Literature and anything that involves strong heroines. I have read but don't love typical "chick lit" unless I'm craving pure fluff. I've worked my way through the classics but I prefer to read in the here & now (or recent 50 years or so). I don't lend books unless it's to someone who reads the way I do (leaving behind a book that looks untouched when done) and I rarely borrow. If I take a book from someone, I typically buy my own copy and pass theirs back when I'm done reading my own. Weird & anal, I know.

I was on hiatus from reading for pleasure for too long (you know, having a baby and all can do that to you) but now that I'm taking the TTC to & from work, I've rediscovered & embraced my love. It's like I've become this obsessed & voracious reader once again and I can't get enough. I love it!

I get a lot of book suggestions from my BFF. Without her, I'd probably never have read Tim O'Brien and more recently, Curtis Sittenfeld. I powered through two Sittenfeld books (Prep & American Wife... LOVED them!) and realized I had a copy of Ami McKay's The Birth House that I had not yet read so I'm working my way through that right now. Save for suggestions from my BFF, I browse the bookstore and pick up whatever tickles my fancy. I am that person who in fact judges a book by its cover. I will wander the bookstore and if the cover is too cheesy or just plain bad, I won't read it.

So, long blog short, I need some suggestions. Anyone got any must reads for me?

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to feel the "reading withdrawal" that comes with having a kid. I'm trying to read the new Yann Martel book "Beatrice & Virgil" but I'm not totally hooked. Maybe because I've been trying to read it for 2 months. It's one of those books where I'm more than halfway through and I can't see a point to it. Don't think I'll be recommending it....

    So people... please recommend some books! For my sake as well as Jenn's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you're recommendation, I've done two Curtis Sittenfeld books as well (Prep and The Man of My Dreams), both good reads. I'd recommend The Red Tent (haven't read it for a few years, but it was a good read), also The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night Time, or something like that. Those are my suggestions for today.

    ReplyDelete