Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas 2010

And just like that, Christmas is over. My main motivation this year was to really start creating traditions that we'll follow for years to come. I want M to have the same sort of "oh yeah, it's Christmas and this and that happens" memories that I have from my childhood.

D tracked down the elusive Le Creuset fondue pot so that sealed our new fate for Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, we hosted my parents and my in-laws for dinner and I did a beef tenderloin with various carrot, spinach and potato recipes (all new to my repertoire) followed by Baileys chocolate mousse. On Boxing Day, we headed to my parent's house for the usual turkey dinner.

M was totally spoiled and loves his new Thomas the Tank Engine train table. He got a number of gifts that will be put away for another time and some that will be donated. He's a lucky kid so he needs to learn early that sharing with others is a very good thing.

In my family, we have a limit of $50 per person but each couple makes a $100 donation to charity. A few years back, gifts were getting out control and everyone was spending way too much money. The limit makes you THINK of what the recipient will want and the donation reminds everyone of what Christmas is actually all about. This is a fantastic tradition that I love and am so glad M is going to grow up knowing that Christmas is all about giving a little, getting a little and doing a whole lot of good.

A few weeks or months ago, a friend shared with me a story about her friend's almost 2 year old son who is battling brain cancer at Sick Kids. I spent hours reading her blog and I cannot stop thinking about this little family. So, my family directed their charitable donations this year to Sick Kids and doing a little token gift for the boy. Heart. It's a small thing but one of those things that makes me feel good to know that all of us are sending healing thoughts to someone who will never know us and that maybe, just maybe, that small donation will help the hospital find a cure.

All in all, we had a fabulous little Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment