Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

I was in a car accident today. With M. Holy F*CK. Hands down, today will go down in the books as the scariest day of my life.

M & I were heading to my parent's house to spend the morning decorating a gingerbread house with my Mum. We were driving in the middle lane of the DVP when the car ahead of me put on their brakes. I had to brake hard and swerve to avoid ramming straight into the back of the car. I looked to my right and the slow lane was full of cars. I looked to the left and thought the car was empty. I swerved into the lane but there was a car in my blind spot. We made contact and I was pushed back towards the middle lane where I struck the car I was trying to avoid.

The whole thing took seconds but the event is going to stick with me for a very long time. I watched M via my rearview mirror and saw him being jostled in his seat from the impacts. He was totally fine but stunned into silence. There is no way the impact & noise didn't startle him. I pulled over and immediately checked him over. He gave me a smile as if to say "WTF" but I couldn't stop shaking. I am still going over every last detail and can't stop the 'what ifs' from crawling into my head.

Everyone was okay. The cars were not and not one could be driven. Not the end of the world, right? We are so very lucky that nobody was hurt today and I am so thankful that nothing bad happened to M. I don't know what I would have done if things didn't turn out just the way they have.

Just yesterday, I was looking at M in the car seat and thinking how pleased I was that we have made it to 20 months rear facing. Of course, this was after D bonked his head while attempting to get him into the seat and M was screaming his head off. Yes, it's a PITA at times but it is the SAFEST way for M to travel in the car. D has suggested many times we turn him around and I always said I just wasn't ready yet. Mummy instinct? Definitely. My goal was to keep M rear facing until his 2nd birthday. Now? Longer.

Did you know your car seat needs to be replaced if it is involved in a car accident of moderate to more severity? We've already purchased M's new seat (again, a Britax Advocate CS) and I am so happy that the 2010 will allow M to stay rear facing until he is 40lbs (and 49") instead of the old 35lb limit.

Alas, we are all okay. D was amazing today and kept me calm (sort of) and sane. He encouraged me to relax and take it as it came. M is now sleeping soundly upstairs and luckily, the laughs and hugs were plentiful today. That said, horrible day and I wish to never experience anything like it ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment