Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Daycare Transition Day #3

This whole daycare thing isn't easy and like people told me, it is MUCH harder on me than M.

He's transitioning well and even enjoying himself. We got there bright and early today and he took his spot in the highchair circle and had a snack with the other kids. He played & explored happily and when I saw him showing signs of being tired, I decided to show him his new crib. I put him in, turned out the lights and sat on the floor while he stood, bounced & chatted. Eventually he sat down, started crying and reaching through the bars for me. I gradually inched along the floor until I was at the door and once he stopped crying, I knew he was asleep so I left him to nap. The second I got into the main room, I burst into hysterical sobs and blubbering about it being so hard and not fair to him.

The girls at his daycare are so great. They gave me big hugs and made me feel so much better about everything. The reality of the situation is that I'm not the first (and certainly not going to be the last) person to leave her child in the care of others. He will be fine. He's taking to it well and adapting to new people, children and routines. Sure, sleeping in a new bed will be hard for a few days but he'll know it's his and we're going to make it just like home for him.

He didn't sleep long. I managed to get out for a coffee, call D (still crying) and leave a depressed voicemail for my best friend. I got back and hovered outside the main door and eventually heard him crying. He didn't see me when I went in but he went from full tears to big smiles while playing with one of the girls. Seeing that made me feel so much better.

We stayed for another 2 hours and he ate lunch with his new little friends. We came home and he's now catching up on his sleep upstairs in his own crib. Daycare sure tires this little guy out!

It's not going to be easy but it's certainly going to get better... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment