Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

More Personal Than Sharing a Bathroom?

Seriously? Is there anything? Yes. Sharing a car!

We just purchased a new car and in 2 very short months, my beloved MINI will be returned to the dealer. The MINI has proven to be a disastrous family car! D can barely fit behind the wheel, my knees and chin are on the dashboard because of M's car seat and poor M is practically wedged in his car seat by the stroller. Our new car is much more practical and will comfortably fit M's car seat, his stroller and our dog, when needed.

That said, our new car will be our ONLY car.

I know many people get by with being a one car family but neither D or I have ever been without our own car since the ripe age of 16. Egads! I have NEVER had to share my car... until recently. We turned in D's car about 3 weeks ago and have been sharing mine. Not such a big deal because neither of us technically need it during the day. D's work is easy to get to via TTC and most of my daily errands can be done using two feet & a heartbeat. D's been taking the MINI to work most days until today when he took the new car and left the other for me.

And it was today while driving my car out of the city that I realized that we are truly, 100%, without a doubt going to KILL each other while sharing a car. We are both notorious for leaving empty water bottles or coffee cups in the holder instead of promptly disposing of them at the first stop. I will admit to hoarding maybe a few too many CDs in the pocket of the driver's door. I also know that I'm not known to have a spotless car though I did have it detailed not too long ago.

Firstly, I absolutely HATE getting into my car... oops, our car... and having to adjust the seat & mirrors. It drives me insane! I also hate having to change the music or radio station to suit my preferences or presets. I hate having to actually turn the radio on because the last driver shut it off while on the phone instead of just turning the volume down! I hate having to move CDs (not in cases, of course) off the passenger seat (D's habit) so I can put my purse there. I get annoyed when ALL my CDs are NOT in the driver's side pocket but rather heaped on the floor between the passenger seat amidst a dozen coffee cups & empty personal pizza boxes (or Tupperware, foil, sandwich bags and apples leftover from packed lunches).

But... my absolute biggest pet peeve? Getting into a car that has absolutely NO gas. So little gas that the car struggles to turn on! Aargh!

D and I have a long way to go and many years ahead of sharing just the one car. I know I'm going to have to bend on some of my "rules" and I know D is going to have to try harder to abide by my rules. Ha! We are both very different drivers and car owners. I'm sensing many domestics in our future!

I'm already looking forward to inspecting the new car once D gets home from work tonight. Poor guy doesn't stand a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment