Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fast and Easy Pizza Crust


Okay, I'm pretty certain I'm the last person on earth to join the whole homemade pizza crust craze but I only recently made my own dough. It was one of those recipes I'd always flip by in one of my favourite cookbooks with thoughts of "I should do this for dinner one night" as I kept going.

It was so easy and delicious. We topped ours with crumbled Italian sausage, proscuitto, roasted red peppers, red onion, fresh basil & mozzarella and enjoyed it along with a simple arugula salad dressed in olive oil, red wine vinegar and freshly squeezed lemon.

Fast and Easy Pizza Crust

3/4 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast (1 pkg.)
1 Tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 Tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Cornmeal to sprinkle

*I did 1 1/4 cups of white flour and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour.

Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly oil a 12" pizza pan.

In a small bowl, mix warm water, yeast and sugar together. Let sit until yeast activates, about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and cornmeal. Add yeast mixture and olive oil and knead to a smooth dough, about 10 minutes.

Sprinkle a work surface with cornmeal and roll dough into a 13" circle and place on pizza pan. Crimp edges and add your favourite toppings.

Bake for 10-15 minutes.

*Fast and Easy Pizza Crust, The Best of the Best and More, 1998

NOTE: The Best of Bridge cookbooks are amazing! I've never made a bad recipe. The recipes are always simple & straightforward using everyday ingredients. Highly recommend!

3 comments:

  1. you should get a pizza stone! do you have a hookup with a granite supplier? try and get a scrap piece. and then let me know if you do... I want one too! My sis just got one and says it makes the pizza soooo much better. they sell them in stores, but I think real granite would be better... and cheaper as a scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it with me... I'll see if I can get some stone for the both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it just has to be untreated... but you probably knew that....

    ReplyDelete