Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Friday, January 15, 2010

So Tragic

In light of the devastating events recently in Haiti, there is one news story I simply cannot stop thinking about and I'm find it's consuming my thoughts.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/young-mothers-death-shocks-neighbourhood/article1430597/

When I first read this in the paper, I immediately started crying. My heart went out for the poor baby and the mother's family. I can't even get my head around this. I can't imagine M growing up without me in his life and having D have to tell him what happened. As it turns out, the young mother is recently separated from her husband and for whatever reason, he cannot or is unable to care for his two children. The 7 week old boy and a young girl are now in the custody of the Children's Aid Society. This absolutely breaks my heart.

When I first read about her death, I told D we had to help. If a trust account was opened in the young baby's name, we had to donate. To my knowledge, nothing has been set up. I'm scouring the newspapers daily looking for updates.

Ever since having M, I have become obsessively paranoid about our safety when on the roads or when we're out walking. When we go for our daily walk, I revert back to my childhood where you were told constantly to 'look left, look right and look left again' before crossing any street. I never cross when the hand is already flashing because I'm paranoid someone will come flying out of nowhere and through the intersection. I can't trust that someone will see us so I'm always very careful.

D can vouch that I have also become an insane backseat driver. I basically clutch the armrest constantly and I'm always barking out instructions to watch that car, the person on the bike or pedestrian crossing. I've become this annoying person who feels the need to yell the colour of the upcoming light so we aren't running a yellow too late. I'm constantly looking around and I'm pretty sure I make a comment about idiot drivers on a daily basis. Having a baby has greatly changed the way I drive and how I view other drivers. I'm always thinking of my precious cargo and have become so much more aware.

There are so many factors relating to this accident that we will never know and while I'll likely continue to look for more information, I'm sure this news will be considered 'old' soon. There are a lot of 'bigger & better' stories right now but this one still has a hold on me.

My thoughts go out to the poor children & family as well as the woman who hit her. She is an elderly woman and I'm certain she will never recover from the shock & tragedy of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment