Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Has Anyone Seen My Motivation?


I seem to have lost it. I love how my weigh in seemed to give me the boost I needed to carry on yet I failed to follow through this week. I 'cheated' on my diet twice (popcorn one night and a burger with onion rings on the side the next) and have barely done any exercise. Since my slip ups, I have been very good with my diet and haven't strayed since. I really need to get back into the Wii or exercise habit SOON. I had hoped to get out for a run tonight but it's damn cold and that isn't helping matters at all.

I made the Campanelle with Sausage & Leeks dish last night and it was great. It was a nice & light pasta with lots of simple flavour. The best part is that there is very little prep and cooking time is kept to a minimum. Perfect for a weeknight dinner! Enjoy!

Campanell with Sausage & Leeks

Kosher salt
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 large leeks, trimmed, light green and white parts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, washed well and drained
1 Tbs. finely chopped shallot
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 cup frozen young peas, defrosted and drained, or 1 cup fresh peas, blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes
1 cup lower-salt chicken broth
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. dried campanelly or other shaped, dried pasta
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano; more for serving, if you like

Put a large pot of generously salted water on to boil.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage, breaking it up with the side of a metal spoon, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the shallot and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 Tbs. of the butter, the peas and the broth. Heat to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover the skillet, and set aside; keep warm.

Meanwhile, cook the campanelle, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot over low heat. Add the sausage and leek sauce to the pasta and toss well. Remove the pot from the heat, add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter and the grated Parmigiano; toss well. Transfer to a warmed serving platter or individual bowls. Serve immediately, with more grated Parmigiano on the side, if using.

*Campanelle with Sausage & Leeks, Lidia Bastianich, FC #36

1 comment: