Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Worst. Mother. Ever.

Okay, I'm not but I feel like a horrible mother right now. I just made a big mistake.

M's "schedule" has been a bit of a mess all week and I finally thought we were back on track yesterday. He ate, played & happily napped (x3) yesterday and went to bed like a champ. Today started off in a similar fashion but just went downhill now.

Sometimes, I look at this little guy and have no clue what he's trying to tell me. He usually has a late afternoon snooze but save for a yawn well over an hour ago when we were out walking, he's been awake & active. He started fussing not too long ago so I put him down in his crib and that's when the screaming started.

I was hiding in the bathroom waiting for it to stop and when it didn't, I went into his room and scooped him up. My initial thought was that he wasn't tired and that he could last another two hours until bedtime. Um, not a chance! The second I put him on the floor downstairs to play, he started to whine. So, back upstairs to the crib we go because he's got to be tired. Sigh. I'm now listening to him flip between freaking out and fussing.

What was my mistake? Bringing him downstairs. I should have gone into his room, soothed him and left him to fall asleep. He is usually such a predictable kid that it really bothers me when I make such a silly mistake. I spend so much time reading his cues so that I can attempt to be one step ahead of him but I blew that one today.

We're 9 months into this kid's life and still making mistakes. The joy is that we learn from them everyday. I used to always say to D that having a baby is all about walking a fine line and windows of opportunity. You have to be careful to keep baby happy and content within what seem to be tiny windows of opportunity. If you miss the window, disaster will ensue. If you stray from the routine, all windows go... well, out the window.

There is NO better sound than the little baby sighs M is currently making as he sleeps.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, we all miss that window at some point in time. Glad he did go down.

    ReplyDelete