Random musings & rants of a girl who is attempting to do and have it all while raising her little person.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31, 2010


Happy birthday to ME! I had a fantastic time celebrating my birthday and was truly spoiled. I was surrounded by family & friends and had a weekend that made me feel loved.

It's time to wrap up January and move into the 2nd month of 2010. First, an update on the goals I set for myself earlier this month:

1. Lose a few lbs by the end of the month? Success! I'm thrilled that I managed to lose 10lbs by cutting out alcohol during the week, eating better and exercising more.

2. Cut out alcohol during the week? Success! I only cheated twice (going to a Leafs game and an early birthday celebration) but I'm glad I did it.

3. Use my Wii Fit 5 times this month? Success! I used it a lot more often and although I've slacked the last 2 weeks, I'm ready to start the Wii Active 30 Day Challenge tomorrow. I've also got my fancy new jogging stroller and I'm hoping to get a warm & cozy muff early this week so M & I can pound the pavement together.

4. Finish the hall closet renovation? Um... well... not really a success. I've got all the shelves ripped out but I still have to sand & paint. It's hard to work on this when it's down the hall from M's room because it's when he's napping that I have the time to do the work.

5. Get 30 loads out of a container of laundry detergent? Success! Seems like such a silly thing but I was determined to 'wash smarter' as I feel like we're always being wasteful. We use too much, which isn't good for the clothes or machine and it means we're spending unnecessary dollars.

I'm pleased with the results and I know that I need to set mini goals for myself each month. It's the only way I seem to stay on track and follow through with things. I'll be working on my list of new goals for February, which I'll post tomorrow.

Lastly...

D surprised me with a weekend in NYC for my birthday. I absolutely love New York and I can't wait to share it with D. We're going at the end of March for 3 days and I can't think of a better way to finish off my maternity leave. The only part (or person!) missing will be M. He'll be staying home so D & I can enjoy a few days to ourselves.

I think it's too easy to become complacent in a relationship, especially once a baby is involved, and you forget that you need to remember why you fell in love in the first place. It becomes easier to nag & complain instead of nurturing & encouraging. Amidst all the day to day things like work, maintaining a home and generally living life, you tend to go about your days without doing or saying the little things that keep you feeling close. I think D and I have both realized that relationships DO take work (or more work than we've been putting forth lately) and that we need to take time for ourselves. This trip to NYC is going to be a fabulous way for us to enjoy each other's company and celebrate all the good & luck in our life.

That said... I'm already dreading the thought of leaving M behind!

2010 is off to a great start and January was a great month. I'm so lucky in life & love and I truly couldn't have asked for a better start to my 33rd year.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Jenn!! Congrats on all the weight loss and meeting your other goals as well. What a great Birthday gift- I'm sure you'll have a blast in NY.

    ReplyDelete